Skip to main content

NEW YEAR SHORT STORY BY ME

 


Once, there were two sisters. One of them was very wise, and always thought before doing something. She was called Minerva. The other one was very spontaneous. She always started new things without thinking, and she often had many problems. She was called Diana.

One year, Minerva and Diana were spending New Year’s Eve together. Usually, Minerva spent New Year’s alone. She read books, thought about the year, and planned the next year. Usually, Diana spent New Year’s with other people. She partied, drank lots of alcohol and felt very bad the next day.

But Minerva and Diana hadn’t seen each other all year, so they decided to spend New Year’s together. Minerva thought, Oh no, it’s going to be so boring for Diana! It will just be me and her. Diana thought, Oh no, I’m going to bother Minerva so much! She’s so serious, and I’m always so loud and spontaneous.

But actually, they had a lovely time together. They ate dinner and drank wine, and laughed a lot as they remembered their childhood.

Finally, Diana said, ‘Oh, Sister. I suppose usually at this time you are making your New Year’s resolutions.’

Minerva laughed. ‘No, no. I don’t make New Year’s resolutions.’

Diana was surprised. ‘You don’t make resolutions? But you’re the most serious person I know! You go to the gym, and cook healthy food, and read books… How do you do all that without New Year’s resolutions?’

Minerva drank some wine. ‘Let me ask you something. How much are you planning on drinking tonight?’

Diana frowned. ‘You plan how much you’re going to drink?’

‘No,’ said Minerva. ‘But just tell me. Around how much are you going to drink?’

Diana thought. Usually on New Year’s, she drank a lot. But tonight, it was just her and her sister. So she would probably only drink one bottle of wine.

‘One bottle,’ she said finally.

‘And are you going to drink it all at once?’

‘Of course not!’ said Diana. ‘I know I drink a lot, but I don’t drink that much.’

‘Ah,’ said Minerva, ‘but you are still drinking one bottle. You are just drinking it all at once.’

‘We were talking about resolutions,’ said Diana. ‘Why did you ask me about wine?’

Minerva laughed and poured Diana more wine. ‘Tell me then, Sister. What are your resolutions this year?’

‘Oh, this year, this year!’ said Diana. ‘This is going to be the year I change my life. I’m going to change everything, you understand? Actually, this bottle of wine is going to be my last. In the New Year, I’m only going to drink water and tea. And I’m going to exercise every day, just like you. Yes, I’m going to go to the gym! And of course, I need to change what I eat. I always eat burgers and chips, and look at what happens.’ She showed Minerva her stomach. ‘Horrible! No, next year I will make salads and soups and all kinds of healthy food.’

‘Mm-hmm,’ said Minerva. ‘And which will you do first?’

Diana frowned. ‘I’m going to do all of them at once, of course! What about you? You don’t have any resolutions?’

Minerva sighed. ‘I suppose I have one resolution. But it’s a bit different. I’m going to learn to draw.’

‘Oh! That’s a good idea. So you’re going to practise every day?’

‘Yes, I think so,’ said Minerva.

‘How much do you have to draw, then?’

Minerva frowned. ‘Well, I don’t have to draw anything. I’m doing it because I want to. But I’m planning on doing five minutes a day.’

‘Hah, five minutes!’ said Diana. ‘You really are quite strange, Sister. Wait!’ Diana stood up. ‘I have an idea. Let’s have a competition. Oh, we always had competitions in our childhood! Next year, we’ll talk again, and we’ll see who completed their resolution better.’

Minerva smiled. ‘OK, Sister. But you know I’ll win.’



Comments